Pages

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Random Thoughts...

  • Who started the whole endless series thing? Was it Robert Jordan? I only ask because I can't figure out how people stick with a series that long. I think I read the first eight books of "The Wheel of Time" series before I finally thought is this ever going to end? Now I'm so far out-of-the-loop as far as the story goes that I'd have to start all over and I don't know if I care enough about it to do that. And that goes for pretty much any series that goes beyond five books. How do the rest of you do it? Do you take notes? 

  • So it was just announced that some unknown guy has been cast as the new Superman. Phew! I was afraid that the other unknown guy who was cast to be Spiderman was going to be the only emo, slightly feminine superhero out there. Actually I'm kidding. I'm sure they're both very manly. But it must be hard to celebrate being cast in the bazillionth reboot of their respective franchises. How many confused looks they must get when they say "I'm the new...." People must say didn't they already do that? an awful lot.

  • It's official. The Academy Awards are completely irrelevant. Christopher Nolan did not receive a nomination for "Inception;" as egregious an omission as "The Dark Knight" in my humble opinion. I've read on some entertainment sites that Nolan was not nominated because he isn't cozy with the right people in Hollywood. There is also, so I hear, quite a bit of jealousy regarding the freedom he has to do his own work. Which just goes to show-- no matter how rich and successful you become, you're still going to have to deal with the same cliques you did in high school. 

  • Speaking of cliques... I've noticed that the feed on my Facebook page flows in two distinct directions. One is all about sci-fi/fantasy related stuff and the other has a lot of stats about sports teams that I know nothing about. I feel like a geek who has been allowed to sit at the 'cool' table for lunch-- only to wish I could return to the geek table. 

  • I finally got an eReader for Christmas-- but I'm not sure how good this is for me. It's waaaay too convenient. The instant gratification of getting a book immediately is scary for me and my wallet. Which is the point as far as the booksellers go-- I'm sure. I barely get into my newest book before I'm surfing the net looking for the next one. Oh well. At least I'm freeing up some shelf space. Gotta look on the bright side. 

  • I'm trying to think of another "thought" or two to put on the list here, but I keep getting distracted by a ridiculous set of commercials that keep running on the television right now. I have "National Treasure" on the television right now (there is nothing on television tonight) and they've got some bizarre "celebrity treasure hunt" tie-in going on. Seriously? How desperate to be on television to you have to be to do this stuff? What a life. Can you imagine if your job description was "reality television star?" I think I'd rather flip burgers at McDonald's. I'm almost embarrassed for these people. 

  • Yep. Now my mind is a blank. After those commercials and the subsequent ads for "Celebrity Apprentice" my brain is scrambled. This is your brain on reality-tv...

No comments:

Post a Comment