Pages

Saturday, December 11, 2010

Random Thoughts...

  • Whenever I read a blog I like, I want to be just like that blogger. One will have me muttering funnier, I need to be funnier..while another will have me saying dang it! I don't have enough excerpts in my reviews. Or quotes! I need quotes! Then I start feeling super inadequate and the only thing that makes me feel better is to go into my spare room, pet the books I've been sent to review and tell myself they think I'm pretty. 

  • Whenever I read a book by someone like Anne McCaffrey or Mercedes Lackey, I stare at my cat and wish she could speak to me telepathically. When she's perched on the back of the couch I get eye-level with her and stare at her until she gets super uncomfortable. Sometimes she purrs at the crazy lady but usually she just gets up and runs under the bed. 

  • I'm never fully satisfied with anything I post. Mostly I'm convinced my writing sucks (hence the need to reassure myself by petting my review copies). Whenever I read over a published post that has typos in it, I click the 'edit post' pencil thingy at the bottom of the post like it's a speed-dial button and try to get that sucker before anyone reads it. If someone posts a comment before I'm finished tweaking, I'm horrified that they saw my gawd-awful writing. And that's always the case because I never stop tweaking. There's an excellent chance that any reviews that have been quoted on/in someone's book may not actually match what's on my blog page. I'm like: tweak, tweak, tweak, check the page, tweak, tweak, tweak, tweak, pause, tweak, check the page again, tweak, tweak, tweak....tweak.  I give the word "tweaker" a whole new meaning. 

  • I love people who throw pop-culture references in their blog posts. Most reviewers don't do this because it doesn't seem cultured enough-- or something like that. Which is why I'm drawn to funny blogs who throw down with references to old-school "Karate Kid" (wax on wax off) or remind me that they have pity for the fool who doesn't read their blog and no one puts them in the corner. Throw in some Maverick and Goose and a skinny Val Kilmer I'm in love. Add some Punky Brewster and Alf (a-spar-a-gus, a-spar-a-gus...) and I'm heaven. 

  • So, it seems I'm not going to be picked to be an extra on "The Walking Dead." Which sucks because I really want to dress up like a zombie and do the "Thriller" hands. Guess I need to start planning next year's Halloween costume...

  • These posts are alternatively fun and scary for me. There's a part of me that still wants to be taken seriously as a reviewer-blogger and I know that telling people that I eyeball my cat in hopes of sudden telepathic speech is not generally a good plan to accomplish that. But then I remember that I've been around for four freaking years and if no one is taking me seriously by now, then I should probably just get a grip and have fun. People are either going to get me or flee the blog in horror. Guess I'll find out soon...

  • 'Awesome' is my new favorite word. Nothing encapsulates how 'awesome' something is other than the word 'awesome.' 'Cool' suggests something is better than average but not really that high on the 'awesome' scale. While 'radical' has some charm, I'm pretty sure it isn't really being used by the cool-kids and I like the street cred "Chuck" brought back to the word 'awesome' by introducing Captain Awesome to the world. That was awesome of them don't you think?

  • I'd like to have that crazy/brilliant thing going for me that Walter Bishop of "Fringe" has going on. I know, I know, when he has conversations like this:

    Dr. Walter Bishop: I just pissed myself

    Peter Bishop: Excellent.

    Dr. Walter Bishop: Just a squirt.


    There is actually a team of writers behind such brilliance. But how awesome would it be to be able to say anything that crosses your mind, no matter how inappropriate, and people just say oh, you know SQT. She's soooo smart that she doesn't think like the rest of us. 


No comments:

Post a Comment