Pages

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

a(n edited) 2009 bumper survey

In the spirit of last year's recap...

1. What did you do in 2009 that you'd never done before?


Watch Rent live. Watch a performance by the Royal Shakespeare Company. Give myself a drastic haircut. Read Kurt Vonnegut. Relate to a book character so hard. Cable-knit. Get paid. Blow up a condom. Feel guilty enough about eating meat that I had to rethink it. Experience having a class I care about, badly. Learn how to apply eyeliner to my waterline. Attempt to go no-poo. Write a non-comedic play. Begin to come into full awareness of what it means to be Asian American. Feel cute in a one-piece instead of embarrassed about not owning a bikini. Tweet. Break 1000 Facebook photos (thanks, Carmen). Experience consecutive weekends of not feeling the dread of returning to Berkeley. Email my professor. Actually attempt to engage in the blogosphere. Cook. Drink coffee. Buy things with coupons. Help with Thanksgiving dinner. Meet people in person I knew only through the internet. Say no. Kiss someone really attractive and feel nothing. Attend a blogger meetup. Show up for a 1-hour class 58 minutes late. Eat a lot of meals with a spoon instead of a fork thanks to Vivian’s persuasion. Get a final A+. Tumble.

2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?

Not all of them, but that's because I set my goals at impossible. I have taken time out for myself whenever I've needed to, though, which is something I am glad of. And I will be making more resolutions for 2010.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?

Yes, and I can't help it, I just fucking love babies, you guys.

6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?

A direction in life. A pair of black over-the-knee socks. Hair I am in love with again.

9. What was your biggest failure?

Thinking that my problems are unique and world-shattering and not remembering that we are all fighting our own battles.

11. What was the best thing you bought?

MAC lipstick in Swelter
. Perfect color.

14. Where did most of your money go?

Tuition + rent. I feel so grown-up. And broke.

16. What song will always remind you of 2009?

“Touch Me”

17. Compared to this time last year, are you happier or sadder?

Definitely happier.

18. What do you wish you'd done more of?

Making the first move. Taking my blog seriously. Putting myself out there. Harmless flirting.

21. Did you fall in love in 2009?

Romantically, no. But I fell in love with linguistics and with tumblr, which I think are just as important at this point.

23. What was your favorite TV program?

Glee, hands down.

25. What was the best book you read?

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer.

27. What did you want and get?

Help. Advice. Legit rain boots. A different kind of year.

29. What was your favorite film of this year?

I’m going to have to say District 9 because I went in with no idea what it was going to be about and left feeling devastated about humanity, although Half-Blood Prince should really win by default. I don’t watch very many movies, though.

32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?

Keep it clean.

33. What kept you sane?

Putting things into words.

34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?

I'm so indecisive (and have so much love for the world) that I'm looking at a 12-way tie among Dev Patel, Ash Stymest, Connie Wang, Darren Criss, Blake Bashoff, Andy Mientus, Ben Moss, Lea Michele, Steffi D, Kyle Riabko, Nicole Antoinette, and Tao Okamoto.

35. What political issue stirred you the most?

The UC budget cuts and protests.

37. Who was the best new person you met?

A tie among Lisa, Chris, Will, Danica, Lee, Maddy, Danielle, Jeff, Stuart, and Michelle. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

38. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009:

If you don't ask for it or go and get it yourself, you're really not going to get it.

39. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:

Don't stop believing.

No comments:

Post a Comment